As I was walking across campus this morning, I had a bit of an epiphany. For the past few weeks, I had simply neglected to realise the sheer loveliness of all the autumn colours on campus. I have been so self-absorbed with midterm exams and all the gigs that were coming up that I failed to stop for a moment and just admire the bright red maple trees around me. Well, after that epiphany, all I could think about during the lecture was going outside and enjoying the nice sunny weather (a comfortable 60F/15C temperature) and taking in all the lovely colours.
My mum has some of these Japanese maple trees growing in front of our house, and I remember how transfixed I'd become when they reached that burning, almost throbbing, fully-oxidised blood red colour! And here it was right in front of me, practically begging me to pay it some attention! How could I simply fail to notice one of my personal highlights of the entire autumn season? I simply can't account for this, other than to say that I was just too wrapped up in the comparatively mundane things of life.
So, I made a point of wandering around campus for about an hour after class today. I just soaked up a bit of sun whilst enjoying not having any care in the world, other that to simply behold what has always been around me. Surrounded by the rampant colours of autumn in all its majesty, it's not difficult to realise why this is my favourite time of year.
Afterwards, I felt such a deep sense of calm and contentment: no worries, no stress. It seems like such a simple thing to remember, but it's apparently an easy one to forget when you let your everyday concerns interfere with your ability to attune yourself to the changes in season. A simple, yet invaluable, life lesson. =]



Absolutely beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Brian, the photo's are indeed beautiful. The bottom one seems to indicate that it was taken in a cemetary. Is that the case? Here in Ontario we have a similar burst of Maple colours although they finish a couple of weeks before the end of October. (It's colder here.)
ReplyDeleteThere are a couple of the oldest cemetaries in Toronto near where we live and I usually make a point of visting during the fall colours season but could not this year. However down below my office window there is a small urban park that I have been enjoying this year for the spectacular show.
I'm glad you got time to take in mother nature's beauty before it slips into winter. A perfect way to ease the stress of mid-terms.
Thanks for the complements, but I cannot take credit for the lovely photos, unfortunately. I simply picked these photos because they were eerily similar to what my campus looked like yesterday.
ReplyDeleteWe mostly get the orange and yellowish colours here, so that's why the intense red of the Japanese Maple attracts me so, it really stands out amongst the other colours.
Those are the types of shots I would have wanted to capture yesterday. However, I am still in need of a proper camera to continue pursuing my love of outdoor and nature photography. I am hoping to get a proper DSLR camera for Christmas this year! *touches wood* cheers!
the greatest pleasure in life is contemplating beauty. it's incredibly fascinating to think the entire universe with it's billions of years and immensity is capable of creating beauty even in the smallest details and we are part of it!
ReplyDeleteIs it silly that reading that made me cry a little? Tears of happiness, of course; your situation really resonated with me. I too have been neglecting nature recently, and for very similar reasons to yours.
ReplyDeleteDeciding which path of further education to pursue is taking a considerably higher tole on my time and patience than I originally anticipated.
Still, on my walk home from school tomorrow, I intend to take in the sights around me a little better. Perhaps it'll help. <3
-FlavoursOfChaos~
@Anon: It is incredible indeed. And amazing to behold.
ReplyDelete@Flavours: Actually it's not the least bit silly, because the experience touched me profoundly. And, when I wrote this I was feeling quite emotional about it. Therefore, I'm so very gratified that I was able to express how I felt in a way that touched someone quite special to me, like you. <3
I understand how torn you must feel right now, but remember that qualifications are merely a means to an end. I do hope things become a bit clearer for you after your walk home tomorrow. ^_^