09 November 2010

Awash in a Sea of Ecstasy

[I am aware of the fact that my gig posts tend to be the least viewed of all my posts, for some odd reason.  Perhaps there is a bit of a disconnection between most of my blog readers and my passion for live music.  However, I do have a few serious questions (at the bottom of this post) for those of you who would tend to overlook this type of post, so feel free to skip to the end (I promise I won't be offended).  And, for this particular gig post, I am focusing much more on how it made me feel, rather than just on the music, itself.  Perhaps that may prove to be a better balance for this blog.]


So, the first thing I should mention is that the sold-out Two Door Cinema Club (TDCC) gig that T and I attended on Saturday night seemed to attract all the coolest (and cutest) indie boys (and a fair number of girls) in the area.  Of course, the fact that it was a Saturday night and an all-ages gig helped, obviously.  But, if I were to be honest, out in the stage floor it was, distinctly, quite underage (if the average age was even 17, I'd be rather surprised).  It was like an overly-crowded high school party, with the best music playlist and with only the coolest kids invited.  And this fact made the gig so much more fun, because not only does a much younger audience like this one get as excited as I do, but they also understand how to dance properly at a gig (mostly vertical, and not overly horizontal, and seemingly non-stop), they know the lyrics, and they even know enough to properly appreciate the more obscure songs.  So, I was definitely amongst my kind of people! =]


What You Know - Two Door Cinema Club (Live in Seattle)

Our show was TDCC's last American gig for the year and they didn't hold anything back, either.  They even played some of my favourite non-album and EP-only songs, and the best bit was that everyone seemed to know these songs as well as I do.  So, when they played Costume Party, it felt like we were all connected by our shared enthusiasm for this song, and we all jumped and moved together as one, amongst an unruly sea of ecstatic boys (and girls).  This is one of the few times that I can think of when it's acceptable to grab onto a total stranger and use them to launch yourself ever-higher skyward.  As it turns out, T and I got separated for most of the gig and we both ended up dancing with random cute boys independently, some of whom we hung out with for a bit after the show (only one of which was gay, apparently).  It's easy to make friends with those (gay or straight) with whom you have just shared and released such energy and passion with.  It's like something that binds you to someone without having to talk about it due to its rather intimate and very physical experience.

Anyway, the venue got so hot and stuffy from so much expelled body heat that some of the guys began losing their shirts towards the end.  So, the last few TDCC songs included some random dancing and bumping into sweaty, bare chests and backs, which was a bit unusual, but hardly unwelcome.  It probably sounds much gayer than it really was.  It's actually closer to proper heterosexual male bonding (indie kid style) than anything else.  We all shared several hours together without any self-conciousness or pretence, just the pure joy of being young and expressing our shared love for the same music.



T and I talked about this feeling and he said he finally felt what I have been talking about for months.  This feeling of feeding on others' energy and excitement whilst sharing your own with everyone around you.  It almost feels tangible at times.  And, even though we weren't together throughout most of the TDCC set, he said he could still almost feel my familiar presence around him.

It's a rather odd phenomenon to explain, but perhaps being immersed in a sea of such pure ecstasy, with such positive feelings for the same thing, may indeed connect its participants together, even for only a few hours or so.  Whatever the reason, when a gig works out as well as this one did, I find it to be simply a magical experience indeed. =]


-----------------------------------------
So my questions for those of you who perhaps don't feel music as intensely about it as I do, or perhaps don't feel as passionately for music anymore (or perhaps, ever?) are:
  1. Are these deep feelings toward music something that you simply begin to lose touch with at some along the way point when you have 'become an adult'?
  2. Do you still listen to the music you grew up with, and if you do, does it make you feel nostalgic for your youth, or does that music bring back the same feelings you had when you listened to it back then?
  3. Do you think that the emergence of new musical genres that you didn't like may explain the reason for your disenchantment for newer music?
  4. Do you 'use' music to help you deal with emotional situations in your life (i.e., to help you express sadness, anger, joy, etc.) or is this something that one tends to outgrow after youth?
  5. I understand that a passion for music may get crowded out of one's life as more responsibilities enter the picture, but is it by choice (as in, you choose to grow out of it) or is it that one just simply forgets what that passion feels like as an adult?


9 comments:

  1. Mike, my passion for music is great but runs in different directions from yours. From the age of 4 (I'm told) I was conducting Haydn symphonies and it has been classical music for me ever since. I certainly added musical theater and many jazz forms but I cannot listen to much of what gives you pleasure. I regret this and feel limited, but even if I cannot get pleasure from your music, I do get pleasure from your pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly wouldn't expect others to like exactly what I do. I also enjoy classical and baroque music, but it's a bit more cerebral and engages a different set of emotions, perhaps.

    Actually, I am more interested in how one's connection to music in their life may (or, hopefully, may not) change over time. I can entertain the notion that my tastes in musical genres would evolve over time, but what I refuse to accept is that I would ever feel less passionate for music and allow it to take a backseat in my life. And, certainly not at the cost of attaining that elusive 'maturity' thing. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great questions, ones I've though about often!

    My relationship with music has changed since my youth, it has become less intense. When you're young music is crucial to expressing your identity. At a time of life where you've got little control over what happens to you, music is one thing that states who you are and expresses how you feel. This music is generally the response of a new generation to the world as they find it, and that is what gives it it's cutting edge. As you grow older your identity is established in other ways, and the music of contemporary youth begins to be removed from your world. I have become much more interested in classical music, and great music from other eras.

    I still listen to the music of my youth, but it is a bit nostalgic really. I mean, hearing London Calling and remembering Festival Hall in 1981 has to produce a rush still! But I have no time for bands reforming for superannuation tours. I mean, a bunch of old guys playing the Buzzcocks songs is sad really. I refused to go to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, i feel music very intensely (although maybe not quite like you do in form), and the fact that you love music so much is maybe the main reason why i bookmarked your blog! even though not directed to me, i'll try to answer your questions anyway =P

    1. not at all, it grows more and more, at least for me. but then i'm not really an adult yet, i definitely don't feel like one (i'm 23, btw)
    2. listening to music from different periods of my life makes me feel exactly what i felt back then. i can see places i've been that were important at the time, i can remember people i used to see and are now completely lost. sometimes it's indeed a nostalgic experience, but not always. sometimes i'm just glad that specific time has passed.
    3. emergence of new stuff didn't take away my enthusiasm for music. there's a lot of new sounds that are made of revisitations of older sounds and that kind of plasticity amazes me. even if i don't like some new things, there's so much music in the world that maybe even if one wanted to listen all his life to songs from past centuries he would still be able to discover new stuff until death. sometimes i think about the enormous amount of great songs unknown to me that i'm losing, argh!
    4. i don't use music to express anything, but it certainly has some effects over my humour. music can make me feel calm or enthusiastic. sometimes highly contemplative. some songs can make me feel completely happy and fulfilled. some songs are so beautiful that i can barely stand...
    5. as i said, i'm not quite an adult yet, but i can take the example from my father, who is now 56 and whose main pleasure in life is listening to music. so i guess not. then again, each one is different... i can't imagine me in the future without my enthusiasm and love for music (or other things i loved in childhood like lego and video games).
    about growing up, i don't see it with fear. i mean, we live in a time where things are more flexible and tend to be even more in the future. so i don't think that growing up necessarily involves being more square, using suits, not attending to awesome concerts, not joking or being spontaneous... just be yourself, do what you like and be happy whether you're 20 or 80. if some people don't respect you because you're 40 and still do "kid's stuff" like playing videogames, well, it's their problem, some people can't see others being happy and have the need to criticise everything that doesn't fit their prejudices...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Billy: Interesting bit about the lack of control over one's life as a teen/post-teen and how music can help express ourselves. Certainly, one's independence (or lack thereof) must fuel the frustration that music helps us to deal with.

    Ah, to have heard London Calling back then, must have been magical! However, I saw Buzzcocks a few years ago and they still put on an amazingly fun show, but I feel you, as I don't have anything to compare it against. And, as much as I would love to see a reformed Smiths' gig, I'm sure they could never recapture the same magic. Although, I do have faith that a reformed Libertines (who would be my Clash) could manage it, so long as Pete keeps off the heavy drugs.

    @Anon: lol! You give me faith that not all will be lost, at least for the next few years! =P Seriously tho, I appreciate your views. I also try to expand my musical listening tastes, but for live music, my heart is obviously in the younger genre scenes, for reasons I've already made fairly clear in my gig posts.

    And, I don't actually fear getting older, I only fear losing my excitement for new things and becoming less interesting and rather boring, as a result. I'd deffo like to hold onto that aspect of myself as long as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Kobie (yes, you know who this is already, hehe) Ima bit drunk, been out all night and downed a fair bit of red wine and Grolsch (hic) sorry excuse me. to your questions! where the frack are they?? Are these deep feelings toward music something that you simply begin to lose touch with at some along the way point when you have 'become an adult'? Ah, theres one. NO! No, no ,no. nope, nyet, nada. if you are really connected to music (whatever genre) you stay connected for-evah. it still moves you to tears or to ecstasy. that one note, beautifully delivered, can sum up your whole life, your raison detre, your reason for being..........

    Do you still listen to the music you grew up with, and if you do, does it make you feel nostalgic for your youth, or does that music bring back the same feelings you had when you listened to it back then? Music never stands still. its part of its wonderment. listen to Glenn Goulds recordings of the Bheetoven Goldbergs or Elvis Costellos renditions of his music as punk newcomer or mature sage, or Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah at various points throughout his career.

    Ima go sleepies now big guy, speaks later

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It was like an overly-crowded high school party, with the best music playlist and with only the coolest kids invited." That statement by you certainly sums up my impression of your outlook on life. And I mean that in a kind way. Some people feel a need to throw of the trappings of youth. Not I.

    At 26 I still don't consider myself an adult. Maybe I'm trying to hold onto my youth too long. Maybe it's because my bf is 18. Whatever it is I don't care. I enjoy life and a big part of my life is now and has always been music.

    I think Anon summed up most of what I wanted to say in answer to your questions. Certainly I still enjoy the music I enjoyed as I was growing up although some of now feels dated and doesn't pass the test of time. This I think ties into Billy's point that "When you're young music is crucial to expressing your identity." And being independent now I can identify those tunes that I used to think expressed my identity. Now I listen to them with no other intention than to hear good music. And to be honest some songs from the past don't live up to that.

    There is so much music in the world that one would go mad trying to get at it all. But I don't think I'll ever lose my passion for music. Certainly my parents haven't and music is always a part of their life and I expect no less for myself.

    I do enjoy live concerts because of the thrill of being with others that share the same passion as I do. (Although I must admit I don't think I have the same almost transcendental experience that you described.)But I certainly have fun. And getting hot and sweaty and shirtless is part of that fun. And of course sex is in the air.

    As for new music and new bands coming along I'm always open to that with the same caveat as above; I enjoy GOOD music. And the fact is that today there are so many ways that we are exposed to music, in malls, at the movies, in retail outlets, on the web, on YOUR blog, etc.

    I've taken to listening to your Indie choices as a way of exposing myself to new artists that I invariably enjoy. Which is a good thing, because I generally like your taste in music and there's only so much time for listening.

    Good God, I'm rambling on. So: Long story short; I don't think you'll ever lose your passion for music Kobalt.

    The famous Congreve quote: "Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak." It also can enflame passions of joy and love. Life would be a lesser thing without it.

    Don't ever change Kobalt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not so concerned that I'd lose my passion for music when I get older, it's that I worry that I worry I won't love it in the same way that I do now. Actually, I'm not worried worried, because it would be my choice to do something (lame) like that. I guess I was just curious if that is something that typically goes along with 'growing up' and becoming more 'mature'?

    And, there are some songs that meant more to me when I was younger, but there is always something new to keep my passion going. And underground music will always be there. I guess what I'm saying is that after T, music's just about at the centre of my life now... and that's where I want to keep it, right next to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kobalt!

    I heard about you through Markus blog.
    I just read parts of your blog and i d'like to answer your questions.
    According to what i know, i'm 10 years older than you. So I consider and feel myself like an adult! BUT it doesn't mean, let say to make it very short, that i don't feel anymore this "rebellious" thing everybody tend to express as a teenager : the teenager i was, the guy i am, that's the same person lol

    So back to your question:
    1. No. But maybe you learn to hide and get a better control on your emotions...
    2. Yes sometimes but new music keep coming and i'm curious! And no, i am not nostalgic of my youth. Don't get me wrong: i got a very happy youth. But what's the point of being nostalgic? Every age has its advantages and drawbacks. (But i don't want to get old lollll)
    3. I don't feel any disenchantment for newer music. Some new music are shit, some are good ;-)
    4. Yep it helps! Bach make me cry, Lady Gaga make me dance xD
    5. I think it is mainly due to the fact that as you grow up, you have less time for yourself. But gosh! If you ever forget how that passion feels like, for me it means you are starting dying...

    Thx for your blog and take care!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, so join the discussion and leave me your comments!