With only one exception, I've written about my emotional state only within the context of a happy and fulfilling relationship that I now enjoy with my boyfriend, T. But, if I were to dig deeper, and reach my underlying (and mostly-dormant) pre-T self, I'd find a much more reserved and moody boy, who had troubling doubts that he'd ever be understood and fully accepted, preferring to keep his guard up most of the time. It wasn't necessarily a lack of self-confidence, but more a feeling of detachment from the ordinary to avoid feeling too much or getting hurt. He zealously guarded this vulnerable and sensitive side of himself, whilst trying to project a confident and charming, yet slightly aloof, persona, who could easily deflect and outmanoeuvre any unwelcome attempts to probe uncomfortably deeper than he would normally permit. Some of this former self still lingers on, providing familiar protection in stressful or uncomfortable situations.
To properly understand me, you need to understand my relationship with music. Picking up from my initial discovery of music (which I related in a prior post), fast-forward ahead to my gap year, when I traveled around the country and in Europe, and began to regularly attend live indie music gigs with a vengeance, wherever I happened to be at the time. During this time, I discovered a wonderfully obscure indietronic band whose lovingly-crafted songs seemed to speak directly to my well-hidden soul. With a disarming pop sensibility, as well as multilayered brooding lyrics, Mobius Band just seemed to echo and reflect on emotions and thoughts that I believed were uniquely mine, and for which I had difficulty putting into my own words. Hearing back what I was feeling deeply within myself, gave me some hope that there might be others out there who just seemed to relate to what I was feeling.
It is difficult to put it into words why the songs from their The Loving Sounds of Static album mean so much to me. It's neither just the lyrics nor the tune, but how the song itself makes me feel: happy, reflective, acknowledged, vulnerable, melancholy, and even a bit empowered. I connect with this album in a way that evokes an uniquely personal emotional response, as if it replenishes my self-confidence and empowers my ability to detach myself from people and stressful situations that I have little or no control over. The lyrics themselves are rather ambiguous and can be interpreted in several ways, with various layers of meaning. To me, the moodiness, intertwined with bittersweet yearning, was what I found so disarming to my defenses and bared open a window to peer through into my own soul. Perhaps an example will help to illuminate what I am trying to convey here, for it seems to be the best way I can think of for any of you to best understand who I am, or at least, who I used to be.
Detach - Mobius Band
Some of the key lyrics that just seem to resonate with me:
Another song off The Loving Sounds of Static that I have a deep attachment to is Philadelphia.
Philadelphia - Mobius Band
There is an incredibly special moment when you find that what you believed were intensely personal and private thoughts could be similarly expressed by an artist or musician in such a way that it feels like your soul is being bared and suddenly open to new interpretations. Music has the added advantage over other media in its ability to bypass our reluctance to accept help and somehow slip through and begin to work its healing magic. These songs got me through my turbulent teen years, and continue to be a wonderful personal touchstone in my development, now, as a post-teen.
Some of the key lyrics that just seem to resonate with me:
'I see it happening, again and again. We're young and heartless in our way, you just never say it.'
'I won't lie if it's all what you want and nothing more. I won't crush your lonely days.'
'So let's turn nickel into stone, and alchemise ourselves into something else. It's all a game we play, but you just never say it.'
Another song off The Loving Sounds of Static that I have a deep attachment to is Philadelphia.
For me, 'Philadelphia', itself, is a dark metaphor, rich with personal meaning. When I was quite young, I was travelling with my parents in Philadelphia, and I somehow wandered off and soon found myself temporarily lost in the midst of a throng of seemingly angry and strange people. I was immobilised by terror and felt completely alienated from what was going on around me, and no one seemed to care. Not entirely unlike the scene in the film, Empire of the Sun, where the main character is separated from his parents, a scene that still seems to resonate deeply with me. No doubt, having to do with my fears of abandonment and vulnerability; but, I also with an irrational fear of being hurt, kidnapped, or even raped. =/
I think I've pretty much outgrown such fears. But, there are times when I still get that familiar dark irrational feeling deep inside that someone might have rather bad intentions towards me, which has never actually materialised, with one notable exception. =[ So, this song seems to reflect some of those dark feelings for me, whilst also providing me with an odd level of comfort, as well. It allows me to revisit something that terrified me once and to relive some of those feelings; but, remotely, at a safe distance.
Philadelphia - Mobius Band
'If you're on the block, you better watch your back. Someone might sneak up, thirsty for what you have.'
'Philadelphia, you got it on lockdown. But there's no way that this atmosphere won't crow/grow/corrode with fear.'
'You know that it's just a trick of light. The days and nights that crowd up your sun. Philadelphia.'
'Ain't it funny how times can change, arrangements rearrange. The man you trust with your life is looking at you sideways now.'
There is an incredibly special moment when you find that what you believed were intensely personal and private thoughts could be similarly expressed by an artist or musician in such a way that it feels like your soul is being bared and suddenly open to new interpretations. Music has the added advantage over other media in its ability to bypass our reluctance to accept help and somehow slip through and begin to work its healing magic. These songs got me through my turbulent teen years, and continue to be a wonderful personal touchstone in my development, now, as a post-teen.
They're beautiful songs. Of course I don't share the fabulous and unique connection you hold with them, but they really are wonderful and I was rather moved, in truth. <3
ReplyDelete"Hearing back what I was feeling deeply within myself, gave me some hope that there might be others out there who just seemed to relate to what I was feeling." ... "Music has the added advantage over other media in its ability to bypass our reluctance to accept help and somehow slip through and begin to work its healing magic."
^ You know how much I can relate to that. Hearing that one song in particular by Alanis was the first time I'd felt that it was fine to be gay, no matter how much I read or heard about people conveying the same message. That was most certainly the beginning of my deep, deep appreciation for music and how truly powerful it can be.
This is a wonderful post; I'm always glad for the opportunity to explore the experiences that have forged such an inspiring and complex person such as yourself. <3
Take care. =3
Your comments really mean so much to me. <3
ReplyDeleteI know we share many similarities, and our relationship and emotional response to music is but just one of them. I'm so elated that your found your musical touchstone at a point in your life when you needed it most. It's just so satisfying to be able to continue to find ongoing comfort from such musical inspiration.
And a special thanks for that last bit of your comment. It is quite gratifying to hear that, particularly from someone for whom I have such respect for. =]
i generally tend to see the world as a dangerous place full of people willing and ready to hurt me. every time i show other people what i think and am in fact, i regret it. they either ignore or misjudge it. solitude seems much more comfortable, emotionally and rationally, but my intuition tells me that i nevertheless should better seek company (maybe it's our gregarious genes, responsible for our survival in the natural selection process). and when i recognize the necessity of the "other" i give him power to hurt me. when i'm in his presence, i give him oportunities to do so. and when i interact with him i ultimately give him good reasons to do so, because i, like everyone else, am full of faults and vices. when people get along well, they are nice to each other, reciprocally forgiving their faults in a pathetic and narcissistic game. and when things get off synchrony, the judging starts...
ReplyDeletedespite all this, i still think i can't discard the other... but i guess these mostly negative views on humanity that i have which make me horribly fear the possibility of being hurt made me create a very deep shelter where i hide all the time to feel safe. music is one of the few things (or maybe the only thing) that can penetrate these walls and touch my very own self.
i really liked reading this post, it made me feel interestingly less alone in my fortress and a little bit more convinced that not everyone out there is insensitive and mean =)
Kobalt, that is truly a glimpse into the window of your soul. I’ve mentioned in another forum that I was fortunate enough to grow up in a family that valued music highly. There was always music in the house, so much so that I find it difficult today to pick particular artists, or songs, that I might put on the infamous “desert island list”. =]
ReplyDeleteBut I know that I’m fortunate that music has always been part of my life. But it’s not on the same plane as your existence with music. I’ve remarked earlier, with regards to your description of the joy you feel at live indie concerts, of your experince approaching the transcendental.
Now, after reading this, I will revise that to read that your relationship with music approaches the magical!!
I have songs from my younger days that evoke particular memories, as I’m sure most of us do.
One song from the family collection in particular evoked powerful emotions of happiness/sadness as I moved into my teen years. During that period I found myself reflecting on my past, as short as that was.=] Past summers to be specific. The previous summer always seemed to have topped the present summer, leaving me a nostalgic budding teen.
The Mobius Band song Philadelphia (which I’ve never heard before) reminded me of it. It’s the voice of the singer and the underlying country feel of the song that did it, not the lyrical content .
The song is Hickory Wind as sung by Gram Parsons and Emmy Lou Harris that can evoke these same emotions today. And for that I am grateful. I’ve never been to South Carolina, but these lyrics are special to me.
Hickory Wind...on the Grievous Angel album.
Written by Parsons/Buchanan
In South Carolina, there're many tall pines
I remember the oak tree that we used to climb
But now when I'm lonesome I always pretend
That I'm gettin' the feel of hickory wind
I started out younger, had most everything
All the riches and pleasures, what else can life bring?
But it makes me feel better each time it begins
Callin' me home, hickory wind
It's a hard way to find out that trouble is real
In a faraway city with a faraway feel
But it makes me feel better each time it begins
Callin' me home, hickory wind
Keeps callin' me home, hickory wind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4oLlg6FxXs&NR=1
You have a special musical talent kobalt. I know you’ll put it to good use.=]Thanks again for sharing.
@anon: Part of the thrill of solo travel was facing my fears of being abandoned in a strange place in the midst of people different than me. So, I think I've come a long way over these past few years where I now feel less vulnerable. I've met so many lovely people, who were more than willing to help me out if I took the first step to be polite and respectful of their country/traditions.
ReplyDeleteAs for the 'other' in respect to my 'self', I agree that I am rather protective of my self, but if I find an other that respects me and values my uniqueness, then I find it less difficult to lower my defences and allow them access to my inner self. I think that very act, for me, defines my attitude towards actual love, and also how much respect I have for my boyfriend.
High from Holland,
ReplyDeleteHop in @ Koenski's daily blog on art,apps,animation,free full length movies(links)&TV-series,nature,science,design,cars,news,space,fun,scandals,the works basically.
Visitors from Japan to Alska to Chili to Africa.
I'd be honoured, love your blog though only recently discovered.
www.koenski-beterweter.blogspot.com